We’re all enjoying the beautiful sunshine, but it’s important to know how to keep safe in the heat.
Here are some tips for coping in hot weather:
• Look out for those who may struggle to keep themselves cool and hydrated – older people, those with underlying health conditions and those who live alone are particularly at risk
• Stay cool indoors – many of us will need to stay safe at home this summer so know how to keep your home cool
• Close curtains on rooms that face the sun to keep indoor spaces cooler and remember it may be cooler outdoors than indoors
• If going outdoors, use cool spaces considerately, keep your distance in line with social distancing guidelines
• Drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol
• Never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
• Try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm
• Walk in the shade, apply sunscreen regularly and wear a wide brimmed hat, if you have to go out in the heat
• Avoid exercising in the hottest parts of the day
• Make sure you take water with you, if you are travelling
• If you are going into open water to cool down, take care and follow local safety advice
For more information visit https://hubs.ly/Q01h03fs0: Heatwave Plan for England.